Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is very similar to Stouffer's macaroni and cheese, 4 cups will give you a creamy texture you may increase the pasta to 5 cups for a thicker texture --- you could omit the oven baking and just serve this right away and you may also sprinkle about 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs on top before baking, this is a very creamy mac and cheese if you prefer a less creamier texture then increase the macaroni... you will love this!
Top Review by JOY1998
Kittencal, I had a hard time choosing between this macaroni and cheese recipe and your easy mac and cheese recipe. I ended up using this recipe and I think this is the BEST macaroni and cheese I have ever had! I doubled the recipe and used half-and-half cream. I used a mix of mild and sharp cheddar cheese and for the first time in my life I bought Velveeta which is must for this delicious recipe! I went through over a hundred top-rated mac and cheese recipes here on Recipezaar and as usual I kept coming back to your recipes. I did top this with crushed Ritz crackers. Many thanks to you for posting this wonderful recipe!!!
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (for a thicker texture increase the pasta to 5 cups or a little more)
- 4 tablespoons butter (additional 2 tablespoons to mix with cooked pasta)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced garlic (optional if you are a garlic lover then add in)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups half-and-half cream (or use milk or 1-1/2 cups each)
- 1 1⁄2 cups old shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package Velveeta cheese (cut into small cubes)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a medium casserole dish.
- Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente (do not overcook the pasta) drain but do not rinse.
- Place in a bowl and mix with 2 tablespoons butter to prevent sticking; set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in minced garlic, onion powder, mustard powder and cayenne pepper; stir with a wooden spoon for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly add cream and cook stirring constantly over medium until bubbly and thickened.
- Reduce heat and add in both cheeses; mix until melted and smooth.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add in the cooked pasta and toss to combine.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 350 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes.