Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Two medium regular cucumbers may be used in place of one large English cucumber, I prefer the taste and texture of English and has less water in it ---plan ahead there is a 75 minute draining time for the cucumber slices to remove excess moisture, this is a crucial step to prevent a watery salad, the onion is only optional, I like to add it in, this is a great recipe for garden fresh cucumbers :)
- 1 large English cucumber (peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds removed then sliced)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 -4 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- Place the cucumber slices into a glass bowl, sprinkle with vinegar and kosher salt; toss using hands.
- Allow to sit for about 45 minutes.
- Pour out any liquid from the bowl and drain in a colander; allow to sit for another 30 minutes to allow any excess drainage.
- In a bowl mix together the mayonnaise with sour cream, sugar, fresh dill and black pepper.
- Place the cucumbers in a bowl; pour the dressing over and toss to coat.
- Mix in red onion slices (if using).
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Just like my grandma's recipe. Yummy.
Takes a long time to make for a salad, but it is worth it. And no dreaded "Return Of The Cucumber"
My DH and I ate this right up! I loved the creaminess! Thanks Kitten for another great recipe!