Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This should yield about 3 cups gravy, if you don't use it all you can freeze it, use a good-quality chicken broth for this
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 (10 ounce) cans chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon oxo chicken bouillon powder (I just use 1 small package OXO bouillon powder)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch garlic powder (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried onion flakes (rubbed between fingers to release the flavors)
- black pepper (lots black pepper!)
- In a heavy saucepan melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in flour and stir constantly for 1 minute (do not let the flour brown).
- Slowly add in broth, chicken bouillon powder, half and half or milk, pinch garlic powder (if using) and dryed onions; stir/whisk over medium heat until smooth and thickened (this should take about 2-3 minutes).
- Add in lots black pepper and salt if desired.
I wanted a classic (and-dare I say-yellow) creamy chicken gravy and this was perfect. Very reminiscent of classic diner type chicken gravy. Kittencal's recipes never let me down!
Fanastic! I have been trying to find a gravy recipe that I could eat without feeling all "blah" afterwards and this one did the trick! It's not heavy, great flavor and easy to make. You never fail me Kitten, I know I can count on you. :-D
as usual the big cat rocks.