Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
If you are a garlic-lover such as myself you may want to mix in 1 tablespoon fresh finely minced garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder when melting the butter --- plan ahead the rolled breasts need to be refrigerated for a minimum of 3 hours or up to 24 hours before breading, this will allow for easier handling while breading and firm up the cream cheese mixture --- these are very good!
- 8 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter, slightly cooled (might need more)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated mozzarella cheese (optional) or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) cream cheese (very soft but not melted)
- 1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese (another 1/4 cup won't hurt)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Pound the chicken breasts to slightly flat between two pieces of waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- In a bowl combine all filling ingredients until very well combined.
- Spread the filling mixture onto each of the chicken breasts; starting at the short end roll up each breast, don't worry about covering the whole breast with the filling (if desired you may secure each breast with a long toothpick but it is not necessary as after the breasts are chilled they will hold together).
- Place the breasts on a large plate or platter; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for minimum 3 hours or up to 24 hours (the longer the better).
- Place the melted butter in bowl.
- In a shallow bowl combine the breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and seasoned salt (if using).
- Gently dip each rolled breast firstly into melted butter then coat in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the coated breasts seam-side down into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish spacing slightly apart.
- Set oven to 375°F (set oven rack to bottom position).
- Bake for about 30 minutes (some of the cream cheese mixture might spill out while cooking, just scoop it onto the plate when serving).
- If using sprinkle finely grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese onto and around the breasts and return to oven for about 3 minutes to melt.
WOW!!!!! This is an awesome recipe. Made it tonight and I wouldn't change a thing. My husband and my daughter were fighting for the leftovers! This will definitely go into my own personal favorites recipe book.
I absolutely loved this chicken! If you're in a pinch and want a similar flavor FASTER, spread a soft garlic and herb cheese such as aloute or rondole in the chicken rather than making the filling.
This is such an amazing way to do chicken! I made it gluten free (just used my own gluten free bread instead of store-bought bread crumbs. It came out amazing!