Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a definite Italian classic --- the trick to perfect carbonara is to have your spaghetti hot and mix in the eggs very vigorously so the eggs will not scramble -- I most always add in some cayenne pepper for heat but that is only optional :)
- 1⁄2 lb chopped bacon or 1⁄2 lb pancetta
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked (do not rinse the cooked spaghetti)
- 4 large eggs, beaten (can use extra large eggs)
- 1 pinch salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1 cup romano cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- parmesan cheese (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl with pinch salt; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook the bacon until crisp.
- Remove the bacon to paper towels and drain all but about 3 tablespoons fat.
- Add in fresh garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add the bacon back to the skillet along with the cooked pasta; stir/toss for about 1 minute to heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add in eggs and mix/whisk vigorously until the eggs thicken but do not scramble.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Mound on serving plates then sprinkle a small amount of finely chopped fresh parsley over each bowl.
- Serve with parmesan cheese on the side.