Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a definite Italian classic --- the trick to perfect carbonara is to have your spaghetti hot and mix in the eggs very vigorously so the eggs will not scramble -- I most always add in some cayenne pepper for heat but that is only optional :)
- 1⁄2 lb chopped bacon or 1⁄2 lb pancetta
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked (do not rinse the cooked spaghetti)
- 4 large eggs, beaten (can use extra large eggs)
- 1 pinch salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1 cup romano cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- parmesan cheese (to taste)
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl with pinch salt; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook the bacon until crisp.
- Remove the bacon to paper towels and drain all but about 3 tablespoons fat.
- Add in fresh garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add the bacon back to the skillet along with the cooked pasta; stir/toss for about 1 minute to heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add in eggs and mix/whisk vigorously until the eggs thicken but do not scramble.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Mound on serving plates then sprinkle a small amount of finely chopped fresh parsley over each bowl.
- Serve with parmesan cheese on the side.
Awesome! Another great recipe from Kittencal!
THIS IS FABULOUS! Made for dinner with applewood smoked bacon and added fresh baby spinach in the end. Also used whole wheat pasta, so it made it a little bit healthier. Made half the recipe and have a serving left over for lunch. Thanks Kitten!