Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
You may adjust the amount of sugar and cinnamon to taste, this applesauce freezes well just transfer to 1/2-cup plastic containers and freeze, to defrost just pop into the microwave for 30 seconds --- use for baking, cooking or eating :)
- 3 1⁄2 lbs apples, peeled, cored and chopped (leave coarsely chopped for chunky applesauce)
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice or 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2-1 cup white sugar (or use white and brown)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- For CHUNKY applesauce; place the coarsely chopped apples and apple juice or water, 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg into a large saucepan; simmer uncovered over medium-low heat occasionally stirring and pushing down with a potato masher or back of a large spoon while cooking until desired texture is achieved.
- Cook until the apples are tender but still chunky, about 12-15 minutes, adjusting the sugar amount to taste while cooking.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Cool completely then refrigerate or freeze in containers if desired.
- For SMOOTH applesauce; cool the apple mixture then place in a blender; puree until smooth.
- Cool completely then refrigerate or freeze if desired.
loved this Kit, I was given a bag of small apples from a friend's tree I am not quite sure if the bag measured 3-1/2 pound must have been close the recipe turned out so good, oh I used apple juice, thank you Kit.