Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a wonderful stir-fry sauce that I recently developed, if you don't use all the sauce up at one time it may be refrigerated tightly sealed in a glass bottle for another time just make certain to shake it up really well before using as the cornstarch settles to the bottom, I have left the chili sauce as optional if you like some heat then add it it, this is a fairly thick sauce, for a thinner sauce you may reduce the amount of cornstarch slightly --- don't omit the sesame oil it is what makes this sauce, and if you don't have any run out and get some you will never cook Asian again without it!
- 1⁄2 cold cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (you may reduce the cornstarch slightly for a thinner sauce)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar (more or less if desired depending on how sweet you want it, start with 4 tablespoons)
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (increase if desired to 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (can use more)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar (optional can use more)
- 1 teaspoon hot chili sauce (optional or adjust to heat level)
- In a bowl whisk the water with cornstarch until blended and smooth.
- Add in all remaining ingredients (starting with 4 tablespoons brown sugar) and whisk until blended (if not using right away whisk again before using as the cornstarch settles to the bottom).
- After mixing sample the sauce and adjust/increase the brown sugar, ginger and garlic to taste if needed (please note this sauce will taste sweeter when cooked so do not add in too much more brown sugar).
- Add this sauce to hot cooked stir-fried beef, pork or chicken cubes or strips and cook stirring until bubbly and thickened.
This was excellent. I followed Ants36 suggestion and used two tablespoons of Hoisin sauce instead of the sugar, I increased the rice vinegar to 1 Tablespoon and upped the ginger as well. I also used chicken stock instead of water for a base. It did come out rather thick so I upped the stock to a cup. Perfect.
Very good! I subbed orange juice for the water and Hoisin sauce for the brown sugar and was very happy with the result!
I made a batch of this up about 4 months ago and never got around to using it. For supper last night I had several left over bags of frozen veggies in the freezer that I wanted to use up so I gave this stir fry sauce a try. I shook the bottle real good to remix the ingredients. It got just the right thickness for me and the taste was also just right for me. I did not use the chili sauce (I don't like a lot of heat) and I didn't have sesame oil so I used sunflower oil instead. I will make this again.