Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Nothing fancy about the chili but it's a darn good recipe to serve over pasta, I strongly suggest to make the chili mixture a day ahead and refrigerate, the flavor really does get stronger and better! Adjust the chili powder to taste, I use half chili powder and half ancho chili powder for a more smokey flavor, for more heat add in dried chili flakes. Although the ingredients listed make a really great chili mixture, you can add in other ingredients to create your favorite chili if desired! You can use ground turkey in place of ground beef, this is also great with penne or rigatoni pasta, see my Kittencal's Red Enchilada or Taco Sauce
Top Review by luveyduvey21
I was craving spaghetti and chili so I figured why not have both at the same time! So I came here to my FAVORITE recipe sit :) and discovered your recipe. This is by far the best one I have tried! I think after a couple years here on recipezaar I am figuring out who my favorite chefs are...you are one of them :D :D Thank you and I will make this over and over again!!!
- 2 lbs ground beef (you can use more or less ground beef)
- 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 5 -6 tablespoons chili powder (I use lots!)
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 -2 tablespoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans (undrained or use one can only)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (7 ounce) bottle taco sauce (mild or spicy or use 2 bottles 215-ml Old El Paso spicy)
- salt and pepper
- cooked spaghetti
- grated old cheddar cheese (any amount desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef with green bell peppers, onions, garlic, celery and jalapeno peppers stirring with a wooden spoon until beef is no longer pink; drain.
- Add in the chili powder, cumin and beef bouillon powder; cook stirring with wooden spoon for another 5 minutes, or until the ground beef is well browned.
- Add in tomatoes with juice, beans with juice, crushed tomatoes and taco sauce; cook uncovered over low heat breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon for about 1-1/2-2 hours, season with lots of salt and black pepper (you can really simmer this for as long as you want to over low heat until as thick as you like, just make certain to simmer it uncovered, the longer you cook the chili the richer and thicker it will be!).
- Divide the cooked pasta in bowls, then ladle the chili mixture on top, then sprinkle with grated cheese.