Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is THE best recipe for chili that I have found yet. My 5 kids and husband and I all love it!! We eat it year round, not just in the fall and winter months because it's that good.
- 907.18 g lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced (the more garlic the better so don't skimp!)
- 9.85 ml dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to taste)
- 29.58-44.37 ml mild chili powder
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 4 (1644.27 g) can stewed tomatoes (with juice and undrained)
- 425.24 g can tomato sauce
- 9.85 ml salt, to taste (I use seasoned salt)
- 2 (850.48 g) can red kidney beans, with juice
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- In a large pot brown the ground beef with onion and green bell pepper until no longer pink; drain all fat.
- Add in garlic, oregano and chili flakes; cook stirring until browned (about 12-15 minutes, for the best flavor the meat must be slightly browned).Add in chili powder and cumin; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add in stewed tomatoes with the juice, tomato sauce and seasoned salt; bring to a boil over medium heat stirring.
- Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 1-1/2 hours stirring occasionally (can simmer longer, the long the better!).
- Stir in the beans with their liquid and continue to cook for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into bowls then top with cheddar cheese and dollup of sour cream if desired.