2 hrs 15 mins
This is THE best recipe for chili that I have found yet. My 5 kids and husband and I all love it!! We eat it year round, not just in the fall and winter months because it's that good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced (the more garlic the better so don't skimp!)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (with juice and undrained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste (I use seasoned salt)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, with juice
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- 1In a large pot brown the ground beef with onion and green bell pepper until no longer pink; drain all fat.
- 2Add in garlic, oregano and chili flakes; cook stirring until browned (about 12-15 minutes, for the best flavor the meat must be slightly browned).Add in chili powder and cumin; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 3Add in stewed tomatoes with the juice, tomato sauce and seasoned salt; bring to a boil over medium heat stirring.
- 4Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 1-1/2 hours stirring occasionally (can simmer longer, the long the better!).
- 5Stir in the beans with their liquid and continue to cook for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Ladle into bowls then top with cheddar cheese and dollup of sour cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Chili, Simple and Delicous
Serving Size: 1 (544 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.5
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 1465.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.5 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 35.6 g