1/2 Photos of Kittencal's Chicken Cacciatore
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Coating in flour then browning firstly will insure your chicken will be moist and tender and also add extra flavor to this dish, you will need a large skillet for this or you may use a pot, I use my wide 5-quart chicken fryer skillet --- if you are not an olive-lover you may omit, they really do add flavor to this dish, but do not use black olives --- adjust the chili flakes to suit heat level, using good-quality canned Italian diced tomatoes will only improve the flavor of this dish also for the best flavor I would strongly suggest to use only skin-on bone-in chicken for this --- made as stated this make a delicious restaurant-quality dish paired with cooked pasta and sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (can reduce if desired)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced (or use a 10-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (1/2 small can)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3-1/2 cup sliced green olives (you may omit if desired, I suggest to add them in)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use white salt, or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large bay leaf (to taste)
- 1Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (I have listed 6 tablespoons oil, use enough oil to cover the bottom of your skillet).
- 2In a shallow bowl mix the flour with garlic powder, then coat each piece of chicken lightly in the flour mixture (shaking off any excess).
- 3Cook the chicken in oil over medium-high heat on both sides until just lightly browned (about 4 minutes per side) then remove to a plate and set aside.
- 4Add in mushrooms, onions and green bell pepper; cook stirring for about 3-4 minutes or until just softened scraping any browned bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the skillet.
- 5Add in fresh garlic, chili flakes, oregano and basil; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 6Add in tomato paste; cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- 7Add in diced tomatoes with juice, chicken broth and wine, olives, seasoned salt and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally (just to blend the flavors).
- 9Return the browned chicken back to the skillet (carefully turn the chicken to coat with the sauce).
- 10Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for about 1-1/4 hours, stirring occasionally and turning the chicken pieces a few times during cooking.
- 11Season sauce with more salt if desired and black pepper about halfway through cooking.
- 12Serve with cooked pasta.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Chicken Cacciatore
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 757.2
- Calories from Fat 466
- Total Fat 51.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 157.9 mg
- Sodium 569.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 40.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: