Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is total comfort food, if you love potato kugels you will really enjoy this recipe! This is not a creamy kugel, it is more on the dry side, the longer you bake it the more crispy it will be. To save some time the ground beef can be made up to one day in advance and refrigerated just heat in the microwave before using in the recipe, also you can grate the potatoes a day in advance and refrigerate covered in a large bowl of cold water, just make certain to hand-squeeze out excess moisture before using. This kugel can be served as a side dish or a main meal, I serve this topped with Kittencal's Beef Gravy
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 6 large red potatoes (peeled and coarsley grated or use frozen grated hash browns)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (or coarsley grated)
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten (for a softer kugel use 5 eggs)
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a skillet cook the ground beef with onion and garlic until no longer pink; drain fat and return to skillet, add in salt (or seasoned salt) and black pepper to taste and continue to cook until well browned (about 12-15 minutes) set aside.
- Using the coarse end of a grater shred the potatoes, then hand-squeeze out the excess moisture in the shredded potatoes, then place into a large bowl.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs, onion, cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup vegetable oil and ground beef mixture; using clean hands mix until completely combined (at this point you can season with more salt and pepper if desired to suit taste).
- Transfer the mixture into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish then spread out with a spoon.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Place the baking dish onto a large baking sheet (this will protect oven from any oil splatters).
- Set oven to 375 degrees (second-lowest rack).
- Cook uncovered for about 50 minutes to 1 hour (for a more drier and crispy texture bake for 1 hour).
My son, who eats NOTHING, had two big helpings. He and my husband requested this be put in the regular dinner rotation. I'm all for it! Easy and tasty. Winner! Winner!
very yummy! I will say that I made this about 2 yrs ago & it was not very good but I know it was something I did wrong..decided to finally give it another try as ive gotten more experience with cooking real food :) ..glad I did, we loved it! Will add it to my dinner rotation! Thanks
This was very good. Used onion powder instead of actual onions and put fat free sour cream on it to serve. Yummy!