1 hr 15 mins
This is total comfort food, if you love potato kugels you will really enjoy this recipe! This is not a creamy kugel, it is more on the dry side, the longer you bake it the more crispy it will be. To save some time the ground beef can be made up to one day in advance and refrigerated just heat in the microwave before using in the recipe, also you can grate the potatoes a day in advance and refrigerate covered in a large bowl of cold water, just make certain to hand-squeeze out excess moisture before using. This kugel can be served as a side dish or a main meal, I serve this topped with Kittencal's Beef Gravy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 6 large red potatoes (peeled and coarsley grated or use frozen grated hash browns)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (or coarsley grated)
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten (for a softer kugel use 5 eggs)
- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1In a skillet cook the ground beef with onion and garlic until no longer pink; drain fat and return to skillet, add in salt (or seasoned salt) and black pepper to taste and continue to cook until well browned (about 12-15 minutes) set aside.
- 2Using the coarse end of a grater shred the potatoes, then hand-squeeze out the excess moisture in the shredded potatoes, then place into a large bowl.
- 3Add the lightly beaten eggs, onion, cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup vegetable oil and ground beef mixture; using clean hands mix until completely combined (at this point you can season with more salt and pepper if desired to suit taste).
- 4Transfer the mixture into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish then spread out with a spoon.
- 5Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- 6Place the baking dish onto a large baking sheet (this will protect oven from any oil splatters).
- 7Set oven to 375 degrees (second-lowest rack).
- 8Cook uncovered for about 50 minutes to 1 hour (for a more drier and crispy texture bake for 1 hour).
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Cheesy Ground Beef Potato Kugel
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.1
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 148.6 mg
- Sodium 424.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 25.8 g