Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
If you prefer a thicker texture increase the flour slightly, I also add in a couple tablespoons Cajun spice and a couple of seeded and finely chopped jalapeno peppers for extra heat and also some canned or frozen corn kernels, if desired you may omit the cheddar cheese soup and add in 1/2 cup more of shredded cheese :)
Top Review by littlemissljk
This was awesome after I changed it up a bit. I used the drippings from the bacon and hamburger instead of butter, and it added a lot of flavor. I also increased the amount of bacon and shredded cheese, and omitted the carrots. It's a great lunch for a New England winter!
- 7 -8 slices uncooked bacon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 -2 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 cups canned chicken broth or 3 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese (can use more to taste)
- cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot cook bacon until almost crisp; remove to a large bowl.
- Add in the ground beef, onions, garlic, diced carrots and celery until well browned, stirring constantly (about 12-15 minutes) transfer the mixture to a bowl that has the cooked bacon in it; drain fat.
- Add in 1/3 cup butter to the pot and cook until melted.
- Add in 1/2 cup flour; whisk for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the half and half cream, chicken broth and bouillon powder (if using) bring to a boil stirring constantly with wooden spoon until combined and thickened.
- Add in the undiluted cheddar cheese soup and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese; stir until completely combined and the cheese has melted completely.
- Add in the cooked ground beef, bacon and veggie mixture back to the pot; stir to mix and simmer over low heat for about 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in the grated cheddar cheese until melted and heated through.
- Season with cayenne pepper, salt and lots black pepper.