1/2 Photos of Kittencal's Cheddar Loaves or Buns
2 hrs 30 mins
For rolls cut the dough into 18 pieces and shape into balls, let rise as directed and bake for 20-25 minutes in a 375 degree oven. There is no need for a bread pan, these loaves are oval-shaped then baked, make certain that your bread is well browned before sprinkling on the cheese otherwise the bread will "sink" when placed back in the oven --- for pan greasing see my Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup full-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups flour (more if needed)
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1Prepare a heavy-duty stand mixer with kneader blade attachment.
- 2In a small saucepan heat the milk with butter and salt (the sugar will be proofed with the yeast) until the milk is warmed and the butter is melted; remove from stove top and cool to lukewarm (I stick the saucepan in the fridge for about 20 minutes).
- 3Proof 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dry yeast in 1-1/2 cups warm water with 2 tablespoons sugar until foamy (about 8-10 minutes).
- 4Place 4-1/2 cups flour in the stainless steel mixing bowl.
- 5When the milk mixture is luke warm and the yeast is proofed add to the mixing bowl.
- 6Start kneading adding in more flour if needed to create a soft smooth dough; knead for about 8 minutes.
- 7The last couple of minutes of kneading add in the grated cheddar cheese; mix until combined with the dough.
- 8Remove the dough to the counter; cover with a clean towel and let rest about 5 minutes.
- 9Gather up the dough and shape into a ball.
- 10Place in an oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap or a clean towel, then let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- 11Punch down the dough and let rest covered for about 5-6 minutes.
- 12Divide the dough evenly in half and shape into two oval loaves.
- 13Place the two loaves onto a large greased baking sheet (leaving room between the dough).
- 14Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- 15In a small bowl mix together the egg and water; brush liberally onto the top and sides of the dough (you will have some egg mixture leftover).
- 16Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 23 minutes or until lighly golden brown; remov quickly sprinkle with grated cheese, place back into the oven and bake until browned (another 3-5 minutes).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Cheddar Loaves or Buns
Serving Size: 1 (1584 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2081.6
- Calories from Fat 704
- Total Fat 78.2 g
- Saturated Fat 47.1 g
- Cholesterol 325.9 mg
- Sodium 3516.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 259.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 80.5 g