Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a long time family favorite, I make this quite often in the fall and winter season, if desired you could add some cooked crumbled bacon, this recipe can easily be doubled.
Top Review by onebusymom2013
This soup was wonderful! My kids loved it. I used 1/2 medium cheddar cheese and 1/2 sharp cheddar cheese. I also used more potatoes. I will be making this again soon. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups half-and-half (or 1 cup milk with 1 cup half and half)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked diced potatoes (can use more)
- 3 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- parmesan cheese, for sprinkling on to (use any amount desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan melt butter with oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in carrots, celery, onion and garlic; saute until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in flour and cayenne pepper; whisk for 1 minute.
- Gradually add half and half and broth whisking continuously.
- Bring to a light boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add in cooked diced potatoes; simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until melted; add to the soup stirring until combined and melted (you may also add in a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese to the soup if desired).
- Ladle into bowls then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.