1/2 Photos of Kittencal's Cheddar Cheese & Potato Soup
This is a long time family favorite, I make this quite often in the fall and winter season, if desired you could add some cooked crumbled bacon, this recipe can easily be doubled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups half-and-half (or 1 cup milk with 1 cup half and half)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups cooked diced potatoes (can use more)
- 3 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- parmesan cheese, for sprinkling on to (use any amount desired)
- 1In a large saucepan melt butter with oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Add in carrots, celery, onion and garlic; saute until softened (about 5 minutes).
- 3Stir in flour and cayenne pepper; whisk for 1 minute.
- 4Gradually add half and half and broth whisking continuously.
- 5Bring to a light boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 6Add in cooked diced potatoes; simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- 7Stir in cheese until melted; add to the soup stirring until combined and melted (you may also add in a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese to the soup if desired).
- 8Ladle into bowls then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Cheddar Cheese & Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 826.3
- Calories from Fat 545
- Total Fat 60.6 g
- Saturated Fat 34.4 g
- Cholesterol 163.9 mg
- Sodium 1316.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 35.5 g