Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a recipe I developed years back, it's a great alternative to cabbage rolls but takes much less time to make and has all the flavour, to speed up the cooking time a little I always give the cabbage a quick saute firsty --- you will *love* this!
- 8 slices bacon (can use more)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more)
- salt and pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked converted rice (a little more rice won't hurt but you might need to cook a little longer)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups pasta sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans water, if needed (use can from the soup)
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/2 of a small cabbage)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (optional or to taste) or 2 cups mozzarella cheese (optional or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a large baking dish.
- In a frypan brown bacon until crisp; drain fat.
- To the same skillet in the ground beef with onion, garlic, green pepper and dried chili flakes (if using) cook until meat is browned.
- Add in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Add uncooked rice to hamburger mixture; mix well.
- Mix soup, pasta sauce and water until combined; cook stirring until bubbly.
- Spread the shredded cabbage in the baking dish.
- Spread the hot ground beef mixture over the cabbage (DO NOT STIR).
- Bake covered for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until the cabbage is soft and the rice is cooked (about 20-25 minutes).
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of casserole the last 5 mins of baking (if using).