Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe goes back over 20 years and I still make it, my family loves this and I often serve this with kielbasa sausage that I slice and lightly brown first then add into the skillet along with the noodles, any smoked dry sausage will do, it's just as delicious without the sausage:)
- 1 (16 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup butter (can use margarine)
- 2 large onions (chopped or sliced one more won't hurt)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1 small head green cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- seasoning salt (to taste) or white salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions; drain then place back in the pot.
- Add in 2 tablespoons butter to the noodles to prevent sticking; set aside.
- Heat 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add in onion, sugar and crushed chili flakes, cook stirring until just lightly browned (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add in shredded cabbage; cook stirring until tender or to desired doneness.
- Add in the cooked noodles with Parmesan cheese; toss to combine.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
DH and I would skip the noodle next time, we loved the kilbasa and cabbage spices, & parmesan.oh yummmmmy. Made for 123 tag.
This was really good and tasty. I used a bag a slaw mix instead of cutting up cabbage. It was easy and quick to make. It a nice, different side dish. Followed the rest of the recipe as written.
Yummy! The cayenne and parmesan add a little extra something to the usual cabbage and noodles. I will make this again. Thanx!