1/6 Photos of Kittencal's Buttery Pan Rolls
3 hrs 25 mins
I make these buns on a regular basis they have remained a family-favorite over the years --- if you choose not to brush the tops with any butter another idea is after the second rise before baking mix 1 egg white with 1 tsp cold water and carefully brush the buns with egg wash mixture then sprinkle with sesame seeds :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large egg (covered in warm water for about 15-20 minutes to bring down to room temperature)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces (no subs please!)
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons white sugar (if you prefer a sweeter roll then increase the sugar)
- 4 cups white flour (more as needed, U.S. residents use bread flour, Canadian residents can use all-purpose flour)
- 1Generously grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan (preferably metal) with melted butter; set aside.
- 2In a heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add in 4 cups flour; set aside.
- 3In a small saucepan heat the 1 cup full-fat milk with 1/4 cup butter, salt and 3 tablespoons sugar until the butter starts to melt, stirring with a spoon (butter does not have to completely melt) set aside until warm and not hot, to speed things up place in the fridge for about 20 minutes this will cool it down faster, the mixture should be warm but not hot.
- 4When the milk mixture is warm, proof 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon yeast in 1/2 cup warm water with 1 teaspoon sugar; let sit for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- 5Add the yeast and the warm milk/butter mixture and the egg to the bowl with the flour in it.
- 6Start mixing, adding more flour only if needed to create a soft semi sticky dough that holds around the kneader blade (it might take up to 5 cups of flour).
- 7Keep adding more flour 1 tablespoon at a time as needed and knead the dough for 8-10 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- 8Remove the dough from the mixing bowl, and let sit covered with a clean tea towel on the counter for 10 minutes.
- 9After 10 minutes, knead the dough gently for about 15 seconds into a ball (the dough will come together nicely).
- 10Place in an oiled bowl.
- 11Cover and let rise about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- 12Punch down dough.
- 13Divide dough into 12 pieces, and shape into round balls.
- 14Place the dough balls into the prepared baking dish (fitting 12 balls evenly in the dish with 3 balls across and 4 rows down, if you have extra dough balls place into the freezer to bake another time).
- 15If desired, brush the dough balls with melted butter, this is only optioanl.
- 16Cover with a clean tea towel, and let rise for about 30-40 minutes, or until ALMOST double in size).
- 17Set oven to 375 degrees.
- 18Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until dark golden brown on top.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Buttery Pan Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.1
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 30.6 mg
- Sodium 335.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 6.0 g