You may never grill, fry or bake chicken again without using this brine first, it will produce the most flavourful juicy moist chicken you will *ever* have, it's a must for chicken and turkey breasts, and makes the best fried chicken on this planet! Plan ahead the chicken needs to marinade in the buttermilk brine for a minimum of 8 hours or up to 24 hours. This brine is enough to cover about 4 pounds chicken pieces. You can double the recipe and use it on a small whole turkey also, the cumin is only optional, if you are not a lover of cumin then you can omit but it really brings out so much extra flavor without being overpowering.... you will *LOVE* this brine! also see my Kittencal's Basic Brown Sugar Brine for Meat and Poultry and Kittencal's Best Brown Sugar Turkey Brine.
- In a large bowl mix or whisk the buttermilk, shallots, garlic, salt, sugar, cumin (if using) and black pepper until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved.
- Rinse the chicken in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture; toss with clean hands to coat the chicken in the mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 8-24 hours.
- Rinse the chicken quick and just slightly under cold water to remove the onions and garlic if desired before cooking or grilling.
- Grill or oven-bake as desired.