1/1 Photo of Kittencal's Buttermilk Poultry Brine (For Chicken or Turkey)
You may never grill, fry or bake chicken again without using this brine first, it will produce the most flavourful juicy moist chicken you will *ever* have, it's a must for chicken and turkey breasts, and makes the best fried chicken on this planet! Plan ahead the chicken needs to marinade in the buttermilk brine for a minimum of 8 hours or up to 24 hours. This brine is enough to cover about 4 pounds chicken pieces. You can double the recipe and use it on a small whole turkey also, the cumin is only optional, if you are not a lover of cumin then you can omit but it really brings out so much extra flavor without being overpowering.... you will *LOVE* this brine! also see my Kittencal's Basic Brown Sugar Brine for Meat and Poultry and Kittencal's Best Brown Sugar Turkey Brine.
My Private Note
quart b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl mix or whisk the buttermilk, shallots, garlic, salt, sugar, cumin (if using) and black pepper until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved.
- 2Rinse the chicken in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture; toss with clean hands to coat the chicken in the mixture.
- 4Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 8-24 hours.
- 5Rinse the chicken quick and just slightly under cold water to remove the onions and garlic if desired before cooking or grilling.
- 6Grill or oven-bake as desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Buttermilk Poultry Brine (For Chicken or Turkey)
Serving Size: 1 (1134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.0
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 39.2 mg
- Sodium 14988.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 75.2 g
- Protein 34.7 g