1/5 Photos of Kittencal's Best Deep Dark Chocolate Layer Cake
This will probably be the only layer cake you will ever use, it's a rich, moist chocolate cake that tastes more like chocolate fudge than a cake, you will be making again and again! --- I have also made this using room temperature Crisco butter-flavor shortening in place of butter --- to take this to yet another level add in 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite liqueur in place of the vanilla, I like Kahlua! --- also see my Kittencal's Chocolate Frosting/Icing
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or use 2-3 tablespoons favorite liqueur)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Line bottoms of two buttered 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- 3In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar, until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- 4Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 5Beat in vanilla and coffee granules.
- 6Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- 7Add the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, in three additions, scraping down the sides of bowl each time.
- 8Divide batter between prepared pans.
- 9Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- 10Turn onto a rack and remove paper.
- 11Cool and frost.
- 12FOR FROSTING: Beat butter until creamy.
- 13Blend in cream and vanilla; beat until very smooth.
- 14Add the cocoa and icing sugar.
- 15Beat on high for 45 seconds.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Best Deep Dark Chocolate Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 706.3
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 138.1 mg
- Sodium 635.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 67.6 g
- Protein 7.9 g