1/19 Photos of Kittencal's Best Blasted Rapid-Roast Whole Chicken
1 hr 20 mins
Blasting with high heat will shrink the skin and seal in all the juices to create an extremely moist and tender chicken with lovely crispy skin - and it will be on your table in about an hour. This method will also work with a larger chicken, but cooking time will need to be increased. You may adjust all seasonings to taste. If you are not a lemon lover, then you may omit the lemon juice. You really can use whatever seasoning that you like for this. I like to use seasoned salt. Make certain to use a fork and poke holes all over in the lemon, then place it into the cavity of the chicken. Roast roast as stated. The chicken with be moist and have a faint lemon flavor. For more of my tried-and-true recipes, visit my food blog at www.kittencalskitchen.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (can use more lemon juice if desired)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons seasoning salt (or use as much as desired)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 whole lemon (poked all over with holes using a fork, can use 2 small lemons, if you don't have any lemons an onio)
- 1Rinse the chicken inside and out well under cold water, then pat dry using a paper towel.
- 2In a small bowl mix the lemon juice with oil and melted butter until blended, then rub all over the chicken.
- 3Using clean hands rub the inside and outside of the chicken with seasoned salt, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne (you can season the chicken under the skin also if desired).
- 4Place the lemon/s inside the cavity.
- 5Place the chicken into a baking dish (you can place the chicken onto a small roasting rack if desired and you may want to add in a little water to the pan to prevent smoking).
- 6Using cotton string tie the legs together tightly.
- 7At this point you may cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours (not more than that or the acid in the lemon juice will start to "cook" the chicken).
- 8Set oven to 450 degrees F.
- 9Roast the chicken at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400 degrees and continue roasting for about 40 minutes (or until the internal temperature reaches about 175 to 180 degrees F. about 1 hour or a little less).
- 10Cover with foil and let sit for 15 minutes before slicing (do not slice before that time or the juices will flow out!).
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Best Blasted Rapid-Roast Whole Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 840.9
- Calories from Fat 589
- Total Fat 65.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 243.8 mg
- Sodium 294.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 57.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: