Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A long time favorite I have used for over 25 years, plan ahead the batter needs to sit for one hour before using --- the amounts listed will be enough for 2 pounds of fish, you may double but make certain to prepare two separate recipes in two bowls, do not double into one bowl as the batter will not be as good --- you may wish to add in 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and paprika to the flour mixture for extra flavor and for a little heat add in a pinch of cayenne pepper :)
- Sift flour and salt, add butter and egg; add beer gradually, add beaten egg white, stirring only until smooth.
- Let stand for 1 hour in a warm place.
- In a deep fryer or heavy pot heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Dip fish in batter then fry in hot oil until golden brown (fry the fish in batches).
- Allow to drain on a heavy brown paper bag or on double paper towels.
- ** It is best to use thinner pieces of fish if you intend to fry the whole piece or just cut into large chunks.
Excellent batter~ Light and crispy. I used haddock fillets and should have made more because the whole family loved it. Thanks Kittencal fro another great recipe.
Awesome batter. We used the batter with tilapia and fresh mushrooms. Even the non fish eater in the family enjoyed the fish.
Followed the recipe, and it turned out great!