This is not a fancy beef gravy and I am not claiming it to be the best, but for the ease of this recipe it's sure a great gravy that can be used for many recipes --- my favorite way to use this gravy is prepare as directed then add in slices of cooked leftover beef roast, steak or cooked meatballs to hot gravy, then serve on toasted buns with mashed potatoes--- the amount of flour listed will give you a thick gravy if you prefer a thinner gravy reduce the flour by 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons --- do not add any salt if desired it may be added in at the end of cooking --- also see my Kittencal's Easy No-Fail Make Anytime Turkey Gravy
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour (for a very thick gravy increase to 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon oxo beef bouillon powder (or to taste, I use 2 small package OXO beef bouillon powder)
- 4 cups canned low sodium beef broth (or use beef pan drippings with broth to make up 4 cups, omit the bouillon if using beef drippings)
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat melt butter or margarine until bubbly (do not brown).
- Add in the black pepper, garlic powder (if using) and flour, then whisk for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the beef broth and beef bouillon powder (or beef broth mixed with pan drippings) stir over low heat until smooth, thickened and bubbly about 3 minutes).
I just made this the other day and it turned out really good. I followed the recipe as written, put over meatloaf and mashed potatoes. A real winner! But then I havn't ever been disappointed with any recipe of yours Kitt.
Great gravy! We had it over our cornish pasties. A really nice go-to recipe when I don't have any beef gravy on hand. Thanks!
I made this today to go with a beef roast and it was so yummy!! My roast hardly had any drippings, and I didn't have any beef stock on hand so I followed the recipe with the following substitions: I used chicken stock (and beef bouillon powder), and then I added a dash of Kitchen Bouquet for color and it was superb.