Prep 24 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
Plan ahead the brisket or ribs will need to marinate in the spice rub for 24 hours or more --- this recipe is for a 5-7 pound beef brisket, if you are making a larger one then double all ingredients --- servings and cooking time are only estimated depending on the size of your brisket --- I use my Kittencal's Famous Barbecue Sauce for Chicken and Ribs for this, you may use you own favorite sauce.
- 1 (5 -7 lb) beef brisket
- 3 -4 onions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 (1 1/2 liter) bottlefavorite barbecue sauce (you can even use more BBQ sauce if you desire!)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (increase the cayenne if desired to suit heat level) or 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (increase the cayenne if desired to suit heat level)
- A day ahead: Grease a large roaster or a roasting pan (I use my large lasagna pan for this).
- Sprinkle the chopped onions in the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl or cup mix together all rub ingredients.
- Rinse brisket under cold water, then dry with a paper towel.
- Rub the brisket lightly with vegetable or Canola oil.
- Rub the minced garlic and rub spices over both sides of the brisket, then place into the roaster pan/dish (fat-side down).
- Pour the barbecue sauce over the top of the brisket, do not rub into the meat, as it will disturb the rub spices, just leave the sauce sitting on top of the brisket, some will drizzle over the sides, not to worry!.
- Cover tightly with foil and place in the fridge.
- The following morning turn the brisket over to fat side up.
- Add in the 1 cup water and mix with the sauce in the pan (just mix together the best you can, it does not have to be completely mixed with the BBQ sauce, it will all cook together).
- With clean hands, rub the sauce all over the top of the brisket.
- Cover very tighty (if using foil make a couple of slits in the top of the foil to let steam escape) return to the fridge until ready to cook (for at least another 2 hours.
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove from the roaster from fridge (preperably 1 hour before cooking and leave on the counter).
- Cook for a about 4-5 hours or more depending on the size of your brisket, or until the brisket is tender (check for doneness after about 3 hours cooking, by inserting a fork into the brisket the meat will be done if the fork goes in very easily).
- Remove and let the brisket sit for 15 minutes before sliceing, then slice against the grain.
- Spoon any fat that has accumulated on top of the sauce, and serve the sauce on the side.
This was my first beef brisket and wow, it was great. I cooked it a little longer to get it fork tender. Made sandwiches with coleslaw. It was a big hit!! thanks for the recipes you post. I have tried many of yours. Keep up the posting!!!!!
This was the first brisket I ever made and it came out awesome. My family loved it especially the sauce ( I used yours ). Thanks so much for sharing.
Kittencal - another amazing recipe! Thank you SO much! I made this for my family for Passover this past week and it was the talk of the table! My other recipe is a pan-sear / braise and I really was looking for a different taste than the traditional "red wine deglaze..." routine. Boy - I am SO happy I found this! This will be the tradition for my family from now on! Thank you again!