Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great way to use up leftover steak or roast beef, my family loves these sandwiches, feel free to adjust amounts to taste --- prep time does not include cooked the peppers and onions, if I know I will be serving these sandwiches I most always prepare the bell pepper/onion mixture well in advance, I have left the sauteed mushrooms as optional they do however make a great addition to this sandwich :)
- 1⁄2 lb sauteed sliced mushrooms (optional, can use more)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and sliced very thin
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced very thin
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 2 lbs thinly sliced deli roast beef or 2 lbs cooked steak
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese or 6 slices provolone cheese
- 6 Italian rolls, sliced and lightly toasted
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in sliced bell peppers and onions with cayenne pepper; saute stirring until softened.
- Add in garlic and cook stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with black pepper and salt.
- Pile/divide the sliced beef onto the toasted buns then sprinkle the beef with freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the cheese onto the beef then place the bell pepper mixture and sauteed mushrooms (if using) on top of the cheese.
- Cover with the remaining toasted half of the roll.
- Wrap each roll in a paper towel and microwave until just heated through (about 45 seconds).
Made this for 2013 Zaar Cookbook tag game and this was delicious. I used leftover pot roast sliced real thin and used provolone cheese like lazyme. What a tasty sandwich. Thank you for posting.
I made these with the leftovers from Recipe #335131. Next time I would slice the meat a little thinner, but that was my fault, not the recipes, lol. I used provolone cheese and we loved these crunchy sandwiches. Thanks again Kit. Made for NZT.