1/1 Photo of Kittencal's Baked Potato Soup
If you prefer an extra creamy soup use 5 cups half and half cream, adjust the chili flakes to suit heat level or you may omit, make certain to oven-bake the potatoes not boil it will make a difference in flavor, prep time does not include baking the potatoes, this soup is best if used the same day, it does not reheat well --- *note* for a lower fat option omit or reduce the bacon amount, use low-fat milk, sour cream and cheddar cheese :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 slices cooked bacon (cooked until crispy then finely chopped, can use more)
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 large baked russet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- chopped green onion
- 1In a Dutch oven or pot melt butter over medium heat.
- 2Add in onion and chili flakes; cook stirring for about 3 minutes.
- 3Add in garlic cook stirring 2 minutes.
- 4Add in flour then cook stirring constantly for about 1-1/2 minutes.
- 5Slowly add in milk and broth, whisking constantly until bubbly and thickened.
- 6Stir in the cubed cooked potatoes and green onions; bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- 8Using a fork mash about half of the potatoes (leaving some cubed).
- 9Mix in crumbled cooked bacon, sour cream and 1-1-/2 cups cheddar cheese; stir until the cheese has melted (do not boil).
- 10Season with seasoned salt and black pepper.
- 11Ladle into 6 bowls then sprinkle with more cheddar cheese and chopped green onions if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Baked Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (733 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 875.0
- Calories from Fat 448
- Total Fat 49.8 g
- Saturated Fat 29.3 g
- Cholesterol 139.7 mg
- Sodium 1019.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 29.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: