If you prefer an extra creamy soup use 5 cups half and half cream, adjust the chili flakes to suit heat level or you may omit, make certain to oven-bake the potatoes not boil it will make a difference in flavor, prep time does not include baking the potatoes, this soup is best if used the same day, it does not reheat well --- *note* for a lower fat option omit or reduce the bacon amount, use low-fat milk, sour cream and cheddar cheese :)
- 10 slices cooked bacon (cooked until crispy then finely chopped, can use more)
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 large baked russet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- chopped green onion
- In a Dutch oven or pot melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in onion and chili flakes; cook stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Add in garlic cook stirring 2 minutes.
- Add in flour then cook stirring constantly for about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Slowly add in milk and broth, whisking constantly until bubbly and thickened.
- Stir in the cubed cooked potatoes and green onions; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Using a fork mash about half of the potatoes (leaving some cubed).
- Mix in crumbled cooked bacon, sour cream and 1-1-/2 cups cheddar cheese; stir until the cheese has melted (do not boil).
- Season with seasoned salt and black pepper.
- Ladle into 6 bowls then sprinkle with more cheddar cheese and chopped green onions if desired.
Just as a personal preference, I like my potato soups mushy. However, this recipe really is very good. The chunks of veggies are satisfying to bite into, and the taste is definitely "potatoey".
Delicious kitten! I easily halved the batch and this makes a wonderful pot of rich and creamy potato soup even with a few changes I made. I used 1% milk, light sour cream and half the cheese because I used a sharp cheddar. I decreased the bacon in half as well and there was plenty of flavor for us for a satisfying and filling meal! Thanks for sharing this keeper! :)