Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This may be served hot as a casserole or reduce the melted butter amount down to 2 tablespoons and serve as a cold potato salad, either way it's delicious! --- If you are serving hot as a casserole I strongly recommend to have the potatoes cooled to room temperature before using in this recipe or use cold potatoes that have been cooked a day ahead, I have even made this using about 5 cups of thawed frozen hash browns, the complete casserole may be assembled and refrigerated for up to 2 days ahead before baking although it's so delicious cold it might not even make it to the oven, and also makes a large amount which makes this *perfect* dish for potlucks --- if you are baking as a casserole use only mayonnaise such as Hellman's using salad dressing will not be as good.
Top Review by ziggy54
Wish I could give this 10 stars! I've made this 3 times in the past 6 weeks, the first time for the 4th of July celebration. It was wiped-out in minutes!
Then a friend gave us new potatoes from their garden and oh, my Goodness! Heaven in a bowl when I used them for this salad! I use some crumbled bacon, because I didn't have the chicken or ham. You can't go wrong putting bacon in anything, right?
This salad is perfect, as written...don't change anything!
Thanks, Kittencal, for another keeper!
- 5 lbs potatoes, cooked and cubed (about 9-10 medium potatoes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise (Hellman's is best for this, do not use salad dressing)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, or use white salt)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 -5 green onions, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, finely cubed (or coarsley shredded)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (or to taste)
- 2 cups finely chopped cooked ham (or use cooked chopped chicken or turkey) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- TO SERVE HOT AS A CASSEROLE; grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish (or use a casserole dish that will hold the mixture).
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream and melted butter, garlic powder, seasoned salt and black pepper until well combined.
- Mix in green onion and yellow onion.
- Add in the cooked cubed potatoes, cubed cheese and ham (if using) mix with a large spatula until well combined.
- Transfer/spread the mixture to prepared casserole dish.
- At this point you may cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours until ready to bake.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the grated cheddar on top; return to oven and bake 5-8 minutes more or until the cheese has melted.
- TO SERVE AS A COLD POTATO SALAD; make as stated in steps 3-5 reducing the melted butter to 2 tablespoons.
- Place in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or more before serving.