Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Use russet potato only for this, the butter amount may be adjusted, recipe may increased to as many potatoes as desired, lower heat cooking only please, I also like to top with grated cheddar cheese but that is optional
- 1 large russet potato
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (or use table salt, coarse is better)
- 1 tablespoon butter (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Fit a rack into a jelly-roll pan.
- Wash/scrub the potato very well and dry completely.
- Pierce the potato skin several times all over.
- Rub the oil all over the potato skin, then rub the coarse salt all over using hands.
- Place the potato/s onto the rack.
- Bake until fork-tender all the through to the middle turning the potato over halfway through cooking (about 70 to 90 minutes depending on the size of the potato).
- Slice the potato down the center, then split open.
- Season with black pepper and salt to taste and butter.
Good and easy to make!
My potato cooked up just right! I cooked up 2 potatoes to use for twice baked potatoes. Good basic recipe! Thanks Kit!