Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Since I make these all the time I really don't even bother to measure, the ingredient amounts listed are close to the amounts I usually use you can adjust the amounts to taste, I have left the Parmesan as optional I like to add it in --- for the best texture the potatoes must be russet and they should be oven-baked --- I have use panko in place of the butter crackers but I think the crackers give a better taste --- yield is only estimated depending on the size you make the croquettes --- you may make the mashed potato mixture up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerate until ready to roll and bake ----- you will love these!
Top Review by Londonsbk
These were really good. The flavor and texture was very very good. Two changes I would make to the recipe. I would lower the amount of seasoning salt to 1 tsp or maybe 1 1/2 tsp and up the baking temp to 400 or 425 to really give the outside a golden brown and a little crunch. Outside of that, this will become a keeper! Thanks for the recipe.
- 3 large russet potatoes (or use 4 medium)
- 473.18 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 59.14 ml butter, cubed
- 1-2 green onion, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 7.39 ml seasoning salt (or to taste) or 4.92 ml white salt (or to taste)
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 2.46 ml garlic powder (can use more) (optional)
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 591.47 ml crushed Ritz crackers
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the potatoes until fork-tender, transfer to in a large bowl then mash with a potato masher or a fork until fluffy.
- Add in the remaining 10 ingredients; mix very well to combine and adjust all seasonings to taste; cool slightly then mix in the egg.
- At this point you may refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Shape about 3 tablespoons of mixture into a ball.
- Roll into the cracker crumbs and place on a baking sheet.
- Press down with hands to flatten just slightly.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Set oven to 375 degrees and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.