Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is one of my family's favorite baked bean recipes, it's an easy recipe but big on flavor, and you can adjust all ingredients to taste ;-) The grated cheddar cheese is optional but I like to sprinkle it on towards the end of baking. I have even added in cooked el dente macaroni pasta.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, finaly chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 large celery rib, chopped (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 finely chopped jalapeno (seeds removed) (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 6 -8 slices cooked bacon (diced)
- 1 (16 ounce) can baked beans in tomato sauce (or use a 14-ounce can)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4-1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- salt and black pepper (to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- 2 -3 cups grated cheddar cheese (optional) or 2 -3 cups mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in onions, celery and green pepper and jalapeno peppers (if using) cook stirring for about 5-6 minutes or until softened.
- Add in the garlic and ground beef; cook breaking up the beef with a fork or wooden spoon, cook for about 6 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink; drain off fat from the skillet.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese (if using) cooked diced bacon, baked beans, kidney beans, barbecue sauce, molasses, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; mix well to combine.
- At this point you can adjust ingredients to taste, then season with salt and black pepper (you can add in a little water if the mixture is too thick).
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish or an oval baking dish.
- Transfer the mixture into dish.
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese (if using).
- Return to oven to bake another 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture has thickened.
As always Kittencalskitchen came through.. My daughter said "wow mommy this is great" I did adjust to my tastes and added red wine to get the last of the sweet babby rays bbq sauce out of the bottle I also used a 28oz can of bushes beans with brown sugar and bacon and used a 15oz can of carribean black beans and a can of drained corn, schallots for my onion... it was even great the next day.. I always know I can count on the recipes from kitten...
this was delish! I made it pretty much according to the recipe. only subbing bbq beans. It has great flavor. My family said it was chili, which it kinda is but sweet chili. It seems that it is meant to go over something or on top. Like a potato or noodles. IMO, not a stand alone main course. I served with corn bread.
Fast. Easy. AWESOME!!! Just use your imagination if you don't have all of the ingredients! You cannot go wrong!!! Thank you Kittencalskitchen!!! Wanda