1/1 Photo of Kittencal's Asian-Glazed Baked Chicken
The soy sauce has a slightly dominent flavor to this glaze so if you are not a lover of soy sauce then pass this by, or you may use 1/2 cup soy sauce and 1/4 cup water --- depending on how sweet you want this sauce you may adjust the honey or brown sugar to suit taste, start with stated amounts and add in more if desired ---you may also adjust the chili flakes to suit heat level, if you are in a hurry you could omit browning the chicken firstly --- serve with cooked rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to suit heat level)
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce (use only low-sodium)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (for an extra thick glaze add in 1 teaspoon more)
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3Using your hands gently squeeze out as much excess water from the chicken pieces as possible, then dry using a paper towel/s.
- 4For glaze; in a bowl whisk the soy sauce with cornstarch, ginger and sesame oil (if using) until smooth. then add in honey, brown sugar, ketchup and chili sauce; whisk/mix until combined (taste the sauce if you prefer a slightly sweeter taste then add in more honey or brown sugar).
- 5In a small saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 6Add in onion and saute for about 3 minutes or until slightly softened, then add in the chopped garlic and chili flakes and cook for about 2 minutes.
- 7Add in the soy sauce mixture; bring to a simmer mixing constantly, cook until bubbly and thickened (the mixture will be fairly thick) set aside.
- 8Heat a small amount oil in a skillet over medium-high heat (you may lightly season the chicken with black pepper before browning if desired but do NOT salt).
- 9Add in chicken and brown on both sides; remove to prepared baking dish.
- 10Pour the sauce over the chicken then using your hands or tongs turn the chicken pieces to coat in the sauce (make certain that the chicken is facing skin side up).
- 11Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes or until completely cooked, basting with the pan glaze about halfway through cooking time.
- 12Serve with cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Asian-Glazed Baked Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 888.1
- Calories from Fat 407
- Total Fat 45.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 160.4 mg
- Sodium 2149.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 68.7 g
- Protein 41.5 g