Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a tried and true recipe that I developed, you will not find it anywhere else! it has a delicious cinnamon-oatmeal crumb mixture on the bottom then sprinkled on the top with the apples baked in the middle --- the oatmeal mixture *must* be made in two separate bowls, cooking time is estimated it will vary depending on what kind of apples you use and the size of the slices --- it is at it's best when eaten the same day it is made and served warm.
- 8 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar (for a sweeter apple mixture increase the sugar by 1/4 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats, divided
- 2 cups flour, divided
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon, divided (can use more)
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda, divided
- 1 cup melted butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Prepare two separate medium bowls.
- In each bowl place 1 cup oats, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 cup flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda; toss to combine.
- To each bowl mix in 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted butter; mix well to combine then finish mixing using your hands until the mixture is crumbly.
- To one bowl only add in 1/2 cup nuts (this bowl will be your topping mixture).
- Sprinkle the bowl without the nuts into the bottom of the baking dish; pat down only slightly with hand.
- For the apple filling; in a bowl toss the apple slices with lemon juice.
- In a small bowl mix together 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to combine; add to the sliced apples then toss to combine.
- Place the apples over the crumb crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining topping (with nuts) over the apple mixture.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until apples are fork-tender (stick a fork into the apples after about 35 minutes of cooking time to see if they are cooked to desired doneness).
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
This was most excellent. I was looking for something just a tiny bit different so I like the idea of the crust on the top and bottom. I made this recipe in two 8 inch square pans. I used 1 and 1/2 cups of the oatmeal mix on the botton of each pan. Didn't use nuts because of a family allergy. Using the smaller pans I cooked it for 30 mins. This will be my go to apple crisp recipe from now on.
I took this dessert to a Bible study last night and there was hardly any left. It was so good and moist. I halved the amount of sugar in the crust and topping and used only 6 medium apples as that was all I had; it took about 40 minutes to cook and the crust was perfect. It was delicious. I served mine with homemade whipped cream. YUMMY!
If Kittencal posted it - you know you can't go wrong! Another perfect recipe! Hubby doesn't eat nuts so I have to omit them but man, oh man you never miss them! Have made this with crust on bottom and also with tossing all the crust on top! It's just amazing either way! Smells the whole house up cooking and the aroma is to die for! Thanks again Carol!!!