1/1 Photo of Kittencal's 60% Whole Wheat Rolls
3 hrs 35 mins
These are really good buns, I make them often, I use Robin Hood Multigrain bread flour to make them but any whole wheat bread flour will do, if you live in the U.S.A then use white bread flour, in Canada just use all purpose. I usually get around 12 large buns, the yield is only estimated depending on how large you make the buns.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small saucepan, heat the 1/2 cup whole milk with 3 tbsp sugar, salt and 4 tablespoons butter until the milk is warmed (not hot!) and the butter is almost melted (the butter does not have to melt completely) set aside and cool until lukewarm.
- 2Proof the yeast with 1 tsp sugar in the 1-1/4 cups warm water for 10 minutes until foamy.
- 3Using a heavy-duty mixer, fitted with the kneader attachment, to the bowl add in 3 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour with warm milk/butter mixture and the proofed yeast.
- 4Mix for 2 minutes, then start adding in more flour if needed to create a soft smooth dough that holds around the kneader blade, knead for 5-8 minutes (adjusting flour).
- 5Remove the dough and let rest 10 minutes on the counter, covered with a clean tea towel.
- 6After 10 minutes, lightly knead the dough into a ball, and then place in a well-oiled bowl.
- 7Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size (if you are oven-rising this should take about 1 hour).
- 8Remove and punch down dough.
- 9Shape into 12 balls (depending on what size you make them).
- 10Cover and rise again for 30-35 minutes.
- 11Brush the tops and sides gently using a pastry brush with the egg/water mix, sprinkle with sesame seeds (if using).
- 12Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until they are a deep golden brown, and sound hollow when tapped.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's 60% Whole Wheat Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.5
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 11.6 mg
- Sodium 325.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 5.9 g