Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Less than 1 gram of fat in each muffin but you wouldn't even know they are low-fat, these are even better the next day, and are just as delicious without the berries, of coarse you can use full-fat sour cream or yogurt, flavored yogurts only add to the taste of these muffins, I like to sprinkle a sugar/cinnamon mixture on top of each muffin before baking but that is optional, see note on bottom for doubling the recipe. For greasing see Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!) --- visit www.kittencalskitchen.com for more low fat recipes!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (or Splenda, increase the sugar for a sweeter muffin)
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream (or use low-fat sour cream or use fat-free yogurt)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease or line 12 regular-size muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt cinnamon, nutmeg (if using) and blueberries.
- In another bowl beat banana, sour cream, sugar, egg and vanilla until just blended; stir into the dry blueberry mixture JUST until combined (do not over mix a few small lumps are fine!).
- Scoop/divide the mixture between the muffin tins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the muffins test done.
- *NOTE* for a double recipe; because of the large amount of baking powder prepare each recipe in two separate bowls, do not double one recipe into one bowl.
These are fantastic. Better than traditional muffins with butter, oil etc. Recipe made exactly 12 perfect sized muffins. I used 1/2 cup brown sugar, omitted the salt and threw in 1/2 cup of bran flakes. Awesome!!! Now I only make Kittencal's muffins. Thanks so much!! :)
I knew this would be good Kitten but the second time I made a few changes.I am on a 900 calorie low fat diet.I used 1/2 banana,1 egg white,sweetener and buttermilk.No sour cream,sugar or egg yolk.These are very goood and satisfied my taste for sweet.I put a spoon of promise on it while warm and devoured.lol I was surprised that they held together so well with no eggs.Thank you for another great recipe.Now can you figure out a low calorie shrimp gumbo for me??
These were just ok in book, but my Mom liked them quite a bit. I think I'd rather just have a banana muffin. Thanks though!