This is the Indian original, which inspired the classic breakfast dish known as Kedgeree. Made with basmati rice and small, tasty lentils, this will make an ample supper or brunch dish. From: The Inspired Vegetarian
- 1 cup green lentils or 1 cup masoor dal
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces vegetarian ghee
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander or 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Cover the lentils or dhal with boiling water, and soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain and boil in fresh water for 10 minutes.
- Drain once more, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter or ghee, with the oil, and fry the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir well to coat the grains in the ghee or butter and oil, then stir in the spices. Cook gently for a minute or so.
- Add the lentils, stock, tomato puree and seasoning. bring to the boil, then Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the stock is absorbed, and the lentils and rice are just soft.
- Stir in the coriander or parsley, and check the seasoning.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaves.