Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a simple but extremely tasty rice and lentil dish. Don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients - most of them are spices. This recipe is from Roz Denny's 'The Ultimate Vegetarian Cookbook.'
- 1 cup masoor dal or 1 cup green lentil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tablespoons vegetarian ghee or 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods (or 1-1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cups stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander or 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Cover the dhal or lentils with boiling water and soak for 30 minutes. Drain and boil in fresh water for 10 minutes. Drain once more and set aside.
- Fry the onion and garlic int he ghee or butter and sunflower oil in a large saucepan for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, and stir well to coat the grains in the ghee/butter and oil. Stir in the spices. Cook gently for a minute or so.
- Add the lentils, stock, tomato puree, and seasoning. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the stock is absorbed and the lentils and rice are just soft.
- Stir in the coriander or parsley and check the seasoning. Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leave.