Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour, all-purpose
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, chilled
- 3⁄4 cup shortening, well chilled
- 5 tablespoons water, well chilled
- Sift flour and salt into bowl.
- Cut shortening and butter into 4 to 5 pieces and drop into bowl.
- Attach bowl and flat beater.
- Turn to Stir Speed and cut shortening into flour until particles are size of small peas, about 30 seconds.
- Add water, a tablespoon at a time, until all particles are moistened.
- Use only enough water to make pastry form a ball.
- Watch dough closely as over mixing will result in a tough crust.
- Chill in refrigerator 15 minutes.
- Roll to 1/8-inch thickness between pieces of waxed paper.
- Fold pastry into quarters; ease into pie plate and unfold, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- Trim and crimp edges.
- Fill and bake as desired.
- For Baked Pastry Shell: Prick sides and bottom with fork.
- Bake at 450F for 8 to 10 minutes until light brown.
- Cool completely before filling.
- HINT: I also chill the wax paper and rolling pin.
I had a little trouble rolling out my pastry with the wax paper. Also no where in the ingredients does it state how much salt you should use so I just used 1 tsp. Thank you!
Great recipe and suggestions. This turns out better for me than the Barefoot Contessa's Perfect Pie Crust