One of these days I'm going to lose my Kitchenaid recipe book for good, instead of just misplacing it as I so often do. This is my insurance that my reputation for fantastic chocolate chip cookies remains intact.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Soften butter in the microwave. I microwave each stick of butter 15 seconds then rotate 180 degrees and microwave for another 15 seconds. Your oven will be different.
- Place sugars, butter, eggs, and vanilla in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer.
- Turn to Speed 2 and mix for 30 seconds. Stop and scrape bowl. Turn to Speed 4 and beat another 30 seconds. Stop and scrape bowl.
- Sift together baking soda, salt, and flour.
- Turn to Stir Speed. Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture over about 2 minutes.
- Turn to Speed 2 and mix 30 seconds.
- Turn to Stir Speed and add chocolate chips, mixing for 15 seconds.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, longer if you prefer crunchy cookies.
- Let the cookies rest for 1 minute after removing from oven, then remove them and cool on wire racks. Allow the baking sheets to cool about 2 minutes before using them for the next batch.