Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
There is a bit of everything in these! I made these using some leftover ground turkey, added hamburger, diced bacon, etc, etc... and it came out delish! Lately, a few of my meals have been this way (not following a recipe to the letter) and giving great results. I will try to put together some ingredients, though they will be approximate. This was made in the crock pot, spooned onto BIG Kaiser rolls and served with Oven Steak Fries. The recipe could be expanded for larger groups.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbed (or diced)
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced (I used 1/2 red and 1/2 green)
- 1 cup pasta sauce (I used Prego)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour (optional)
- -Brown the meat (turkey and beef) in large skillet with onions and peppers over medium heat.
- -Drain off grease.
- -Add the meat mixture, along with the remaining ingredients to the crock-pot and give it a quick stir. See NOTE at the bottom.
- -If it looks too "soupy", then add 1 tbsp of flour to thicken.
- -Cook on high for 1-2 hours or on low for 3-4 hours.
- -Serve on seeded Kaisers (or rolls of choice) with a salad, french fries or potato salad.
- NOTE: I made this is my small crock-pot, so I don't know cooking times for a large one.
DH asked that we make Vicky's recipe for sloppy joes from now on. She sure had a great recipe put together! I did use 1 1'2 pounds of ground round, pimentos since I didnt have a green or red pepper, minced garlic, and omitted the flour. Will make these again using the beef and turkey and peppers. Made and reviewed for VickyJ's Cookathon.
i really liked this recipe. I used a big crock pot and it really only needed 1 or 2 hours on low. And i added a table spoon of bbq sauce. Thanks for posting keeper for sure and i love the name:)