Recipe by Divinemom5
Another bar cookie recipe from Womans Day magazine
Top Review by vrvrvr
I love anything that has me stirring butter and brown sugar together over a low heat...yummm...but these are a little odd. They're like extra rich brownies with a lot going on - the toffee pieces, coconut, nuts, etc. (My husband said there's too much going on, in fact, which he found off putting.) These don't have a brownie texture - they're not fudgy or cakey - they're hard. Good points for rich chocolate flavor, and the hint of cinnamon is great... but alas, I don't think I would make these again.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup toffee pieces
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 3⁄4 cup nuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 Line 13x9x2 inch pan with foil,spray foil with cooking spray Melt butter and brown sugar in medium sauce pan.
- Cool slightly Whisk egg and vanilla into butter mixture Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl,stir into butter mixture Stir in toffee bits,1/2 cup coconut,1/2 cup pecans and all of the chocolate chips.
- Spread into pan Press remaining coconut and pecans into batter bake for 25-30 minutes or until center is set Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes Remove from pan and cool completely cut into 24 bars.