Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another bar cookie recipe from Womans Day magazine
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup toffee pieces
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 3⁄4 cup nuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 Line 13x9x2 inch pan with foil,spray foil with cooking spray Melt butter and brown sugar in medium sauce pan.
- Cool slightly Whisk egg and vanilla into butter mixture Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl,stir into butter mixture Stir in toffee bits,1/2 cup coconut,1/2 cup pecans and all of the chocolate chips.
- Spread into pan Press remaining coconut and pecans into batter bake for 25-30 minutes or until center is set Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes Remove from pan and cool completely cut into 24 bars.
I love anything that has me stirring butter and brown sugar together over a low heat...yummm...but these are a little odd. They're like extra rich brownies with a lot going on - the toffee pieces, coconut, nuts, etc. (My husband said there's too much going on, in fact, which he found off putting.) These don't have a brownie texture - they're not fudgy or cakey - they're hard. Good points for rich chocolate flavor, and the hint of cinnamon is great... but alas, I don't think I would make these again.
These are YUMMY! I was looking for a recipe to use up odds and ends of baking ingredients I had on hand, and this was perfect. I used light brown sugar instead of dark, and chopped pecans instead of walnuts. I made them last night and when I came home from work today my kitchen STILL smelled wonderful and chocolately. Thanks for a great recipe; I'll definitely be making this again.
I tried this recipe about a month ago and it was a total hit. These crunchers were gone in seconds! I had searched for this recipe because I lost my copy. I originally found this in the Family Circle Magazine. These crunchers are very easy to make, Ivanna, my six year old daughter, helped me bake these. Thank you