Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my families favorite soup recipe. Some of the meatballs will fall apart, while others hold their form. This gives the soup a wonderful texture. It freezes well to.
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed (not the fully cooked kind)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice, mexican
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- albondigas soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, cut in chunks
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- salt & pepper
- Make the meatballs first: Combine everything and mix thoroughly.
- Form meatballs and roll between your palms (Otherwise, meatballs will fall apart in the soup).
- You should make around 20 to 24 meatballs.
- Cook meatballs on a lipped baking sheet on 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, sautee onion, celery, jalopeno, and garlic.
- Combine chicken broth, onion, celery, tomatoes and their liquid, cumin, oregano and cilantro leaves in a large pot.
- Bring to broil, and reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drop meatballs in the soup.
- Return to simmer and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.