Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my families favorite soup recipe. Some of the meatballs will fall apart, while others hold their form. This gives the soup a wonderful texture. It freezes well to.
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed (not the fully cooked kind)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice, mexican
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- albondigas soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, cut in chunks
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- salt & pepper
- Make the meatballs first: Combine everything and mix thoroughly.
- Form meatballs and roll between your palms (Otherwise, meatballs will fall apart in the soup).
- You should make around 20 to 24 meatballs.
- Cook meatballs on a lipped baking sheet on 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, sautee onion, celery, jalopeno, and garlic.
- Combine chicken broth, onion, celery, tomatoes and their liquid, cumin, oregano and cilantro leaves in a large pot.
- Bring to broil, and reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drop meatballs in the soup.
- Return to simmer and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.