Prep 8 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This bread can turn out differnt each time. Why? Because you use whatever herb and fresh vegetables you have handy.
- 1 loaf round sourdough loaf (bake and serve variety)
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced thinly
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced very thinly
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2-1 lb hot monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 -2 cup assorted fresh vegetable, and herbs (green onions, tiny broccoli flowers, chives, parsley, cauliflower, bell peppers etc.)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- Oil one cookie sheet. Slice the bread in half so that you have two rounds and scoop out most of the soft center. Place on cookie sheet.
- Sautee the onions and mushrooms until tender, adding the brown sugar and a little salt about half way through. Set aside. Sautee herbs and vegetable mixture. Set aside.
- Cut cream cheese into 1 inch cubes and distribute evenly over both bread halves and top with the onion/mushroom mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over onion/mushroom mixture. Layer 1/2 of the herb/vegetable mix over the top, sprinkle on pepper jack cheese, then top with remaining herb/vegetable mix.
- Mix eggs and milk together with any extra herbs you like and pour evenly over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight if possible, or for at least 8 hours.
- The next day, bake at 375°F for 35-45 minutes until nicely browned on top and center is set. Slice into wedges with a pizza cutter or large knife. Serve hot.