Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
We Southerners love our grits. This is an easy delicious casserole that makes a good side dish for dinner, brunch, or breakfast.
Top Review by Cathi50
I made this for a work brunch and it was a big hit. I sprinkled some cheese on top, and was too lazy to add the garlic. The Knorr "secret ingredient" is what makes this recipe the BEST cheese grits casserole!
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 envelope knorr leek soup mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 1 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and milk to a boil.
- Add in the soup mix and whisk until blended.
- Using a wooden spoon, slowly stir in grits; continue stirring until the consistency is smooth.
- Cook and stir grits for 5 minutes or until they are thick and creamy.
- Take saucepan from heat.
- In a small saucepan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Saute/stir onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes or until they are softened.
- Add onion-garlic mixture to grits; stir to combine.
- Add eggs and cheese to grits; stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to baking dish.
- Bake in a 350° oven for about 1 hour or until set.