FIVE HOUR COOK TIME! This corned beef almost prepares itself, and the flavor is dinner-party worthy, but comfort food good. BTW - The veges didn't work for my family's taste, but our guests loved them! (Dan Smith/Steve McDonagh)
- 3 lbs corned beef brisket
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 24 ounces Harp lager beer (anything not light)
- 1⁄2 cup Irish whiskey (Jameson or Bushmill)
- 6 carrots, peeled, cut into 2-inch
- 6 red potatoes, in 2-inch cubes
- 4 sprigs fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Place corned beef in large roasting pan (w/lid).
- Add garlic, shallots, spices, beer and whiskey.
- Cover and place in the oven.
- Braise 3 hours, turning the meat once.
- After 3 hours, add carrots, potatoes and dill.
- Cover again and braise additional 2 hours.
- Allow to stand 5-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.