Recipe by Chef Canada Umami
Beer, fish, pancake batter - that's all you need! Dip, fry, eat - that's all you do! Great with salads or chips and mushy peas! We make a bit of "tartar sauce" by chopping up gherkins quite finely and mixing it into some mayo with a tad of lemon and hot mustard to taste but the kids like a mayo and ketchup mix...experiment! It's fun!
Top Review by The Brands
This recipe was great. Truly was easy and very tasty. We cut the pieces of fish into little strips and dipped the cooked fish into a cocktail sauce. Other people ate it like fish tacos. It was a big hit at the party.
- 3⁄4 cup beer (brand of your choice)
- 1 cup pancake mix (brand of your choice)
- 3 large fish fillets, cut into 6 pieces (basa works well)
Directions See How It's Made
- set fryer to 160 degrees celsius.
- rinse fillets under cold water & pat dry.
- sprinkle 1/4 cup of the dry pancake mix on a platter.
- fold the remaining pancake mix with the beer in a shallow bowl.
- dredge the fish in the dry pancake mix.
- dip the dredged fish into the beer batter.
- gently place the battered fish into the hot oil ensuring that there is plenty of space between pieces - two or three pieces at a time is best.