Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From about.com, it's kind of like a spicier mix of tabbouleh and couscous. Serve with pita for an appetizer, snack, or small meal. Time does not include several hours for sitting.
- 1 1⁄2 cups bulgur wheat (fine or medium grade)
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons red pepper paste or 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- red pepper
- boiling water
- grape leaves
- romaine lettuce
- pita bread
- Place the bulghar wheat in a bowl with enough boiling water to cover. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes. Chop veggies if they are not already chopped.
- Combine the red pepper paste (or tomato paste) with the veggies, herbs, and spices. Mix well.
- Drain the bulghar wheat and place on a towel to squeeze out excess water.
- Combine with the red pepper paste and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.
- Serve with grape leaves, romaine lettuce, and fresh pita bread.