Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An acquired taste... Not for the health conscious!
- 3 feet beef casings (1 meter)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken fat (Shmaltz)
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- Wash and clean the casing thoroughly, scraping off the fat with a dull knife and discarding.
- Cut into lengths about 8" (20 cm.) and sew one end of each length closed.
- In a skillet melt the chicken fat and in this saute the onions until browned.
- In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, salt and pepper. Add the melted chicken fat with the onions and the breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly.
- Stuff each section of the casing loosely with this filling and sew the second end closed.
- Rinse off any flour that adheres to the surface.
- Immerse in boiling water for 5 minutes and then drain. (At this point the kishke is ready for use in cholent (see Recipe#269267 ).
- To serve kishke alone, arrange the sections in a shallow, lightly greased casserole or baking dish and bake in a medium oven until well browned (about 1 1/2 hours), basting frequently with the drippings.