Kirstie Alley shared this recipe on Oprah she swears by it for weight loss. She said it is very important to not over cook, you want to to be a lovely bright green! She also said you will think you made way to much but that it will go VERY fast! Eat this soup once or twice a day or whenever you are hungry. Green Soup is 62 calories per cup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 big chunks shallots
- 8 leeks (Cut leeks just above their white part, about 2 inches. Peel the outer layer off and then slit them o)
- 1/3 cup organic olive oil
- 2 big bunch asparagus (cut the hard ends off about 3 inches)
- 3 big bunch broccoli (cut the stems off halfway up the shafts)
- 2 big bunch spinach (cut off the tiny part of the dirty ends)
- 6 (32 ounce) containers organic chicken broth (for vegetarians, use vegetable broth)
- sea salt (at least 3 tablespoons of coarse grain)
- pepper, to taste
- 1Peel and slice shallots thinly.
- 2Put all the olive oil in a very large, deep pot. Turn the heat to medium-high. Put the shallots into the oil and sweat the shallots. "Sweating" means to cook the vegetables to tenderize them without browning them. Adjust heat as necessary to ensure they do not brown.
- 3Add 1 tablespoon of coarse, ground, good quality sea salt to shallots to absorb while they are sweating. Cut the leeks into thin slices and toss them into the oil with the shallots. Sweat the leeks along with the shallots. Chop the asparagus into small bits and then add them to the mixture and sweat them, along with the shallots and leeks.
- 4When the shallots, asparagus and leeks are fully sweated and tender, break the broccoli into small chunks and throw them into the soup pot. (If the shallots, leeks and asparagus combo gets too dry before they are tender, just add small amounts of chicken broth to the mix and keep on sweating.).
- 5Let the broccoli sweat a little while (about 2 minutes) and then add half of your organic chicken stock. Cook this for about 10 minutes.
- 6Add remaining chicken stock and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes. (You want the broccoli to be tender, but not overcooked, and you want the color of soup to always remain a nice, bright green.) Add all the spinach and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the flame off the mixture and season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- 7Transfer the soup into a blender by increments and puree the mixture. Put the pureed soup mixture into one big pot. Then taste and season it to your liking. Only season with salt and pepper. If you desire any other seasoning, create an individual serving, not in the whole pot.
- 8Split the soup into 2 equal parts, one for you and one for your Chubby Buddy or for storage. Cool the soup before refrigerating and/or freezing.
- 9You are basically adding the vegetables in order of their hardness. The spinach is so soft, you would never want to add it too early. If you do, it can make the soup turn brownish…ICK!
Nutritional Facts for Kirstie Alley's "green Soup"
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 23
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 88.4
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 802.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: